Friday, December 11, 2009

Okanagan Relish!

Another famous recipe from my Grama. I just so happened to make this on Thanksgiving so here is the step-by-step instructions so you can make your very own. It is the best and you can use it on crackers, burgers, chips, toast! (I eat it just by the spoonful as well!)



Start with six clean pint size canning jars then heat jars in oven on a cookie sheet at 150 degrees for the amount of time the relish is cooking.



Dice and peel 3 pears, 3 peaches, (I used frozen peaches, 3-4 cups, since they aren't in season. Let thaw.) 3 onions, 3 green bell peppers, 6 tomatoes. Put in a large stock pot. Add 2 and 1/4 cup of white sugar, 1 cup of white vinegar, 1 tbsp. of salt.
Simmer on low heat at least for 2 hours with one 1oz. bag of cheesecloth full of pickling spice. Uncovered.

This time I made a bag out of cheesecloth, but next time I make this I am just going to use a tea ball.



Here are all the veggies and fruit cut up with cheesecloth bag.


When the 2 hours are about up, boil the lids for about 15 minutes so the jars seal tight.

Pour the mixture into the hot jars and clean off tops and the seal with lids. (My aunt was in town while we did this and she said to not tighten lids too tight at first, then a day later after all the lids seal you can tighten tighter.)



The relish turned out great! It is sweet, tangy, and delish! We have already gone through half of the batch!

2 comments:

  1. this looks yummy. i'm going to print it and try it this season. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange but true. Here I am on Vancouver Island getting ready to make Okanagan Relish and thought I would just see if s recipe existed on the internet. The copy I have is at least a hundred years old. Delighted to see your blog. Good wishes.
    August 25, 2012

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on Swiss Avenue! Come back again soon, ya hear!